songs i have cried my
(in approximately chronological order)
or, “marijn outs themself as a zoomer”
silly little heart out to
nota bene: a lot of the songs on this page are about suicide. i have marked them with a † symbol — please tread with caution if you have trauma related to that or just don’t want to hear about it
- why me? linda martin
- the voice eimear quinn I don’t know what it is about ’90s-era Irish Eurovision winners that made seven-year-old me burst into tears. They still make me tear up a bit… simpler times.
- me† the 1975
- you the 1975 (excluding the hidden track, which isn’t their best and might even be plagiarised from m83)
i always wanna die (sometimes)† the 1975
like 90% sure this song might have actually saved my life
your death, it won’t happen to you; it happens to your family and your friends — i refuse
- sleepyhead passion pit Honestly, a lot of Passion Pit’s music has this weird melancholy effect on me, but this is the only one to have made me properly bawl up.
- motion picture soundtrack† radiohead This is the only song on this list that can consistently drive me to tears. Doesn’t matter where, doesn’t matter when. I listen to this and i collapse. Bonus points if it’s the early piano demo.
- paracetamol† declan mckenna
- girls like you the naked and famous This song makes me want to go out on the town at night with a bunch of friends. It makes me want to take up music. Covid has scuppered the first, and i never feel like i have any time or energy for even thinking about the second — Gods almighty i wish i had some sort of creative outlet other than this website
- sweden c418
“hey man, do you wanna come on the server and build a rollercoaster?”
[last online 3 years ago]
lostmyhead the 1975
This isn’t really about the song. I went to their concert early in 2020, before the world shut down, and if i just shut my eyes, turn off the lights, and play this song, i can pretend to be back there, just for a moment.
Gods, i miss live music.
- true love waits radiohead
- codex† radiohead
- don’t worry the 1975 & tim healy
mirror porter robinson
and it’s not the voice of all the others — you’ve only said it to yourself
dawn chorus thom yorke
i think i miss something — but i don’t know what
- 13 angels standing guard round the side of your bed a sweet mt zion