- New page, sort of! The Garden has been moved to a new URL, at marijn.uk/garden. This new version is now powered by WordPress, letting me post more easily and letting you comment more easily. Huzzah! The first two posts:
- Three new links have been added to the linkroll.
- Nicæa, my directory of religious websites on Neocities, has been deprecated and taken off of the index page. It only makes sense now that i’m not using it anymore.
The log of changes
- A “dark mode” of ſorts has been added to the ſhrine pages. If one clicks on the ſun in the top right corner, the lights will go dark, with only portraits of the relevant God in light. The picture frames on my real life ſhrine have a tendency to break, ſo until i can get my hands on ſome ſtatuettes, this will have to do…
- Added my “most enjoyed” song and film to the about page.
- Two new dreams have been listed on the dream log.
- One new quote has been added to “Quotes and other assorted aphorisms”:
A language is a dialect with an army and a navy. (אַ שפּראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמיי און פֿלאָט)
- The style guide now has clarification on when to capitalise the word Pagan and a list of Americanisms that tend to catch me out.
- We’ve moved! This webste is now hosted by the fine people at Krystal, a UK-based web host powered by 100% renewables. Neocities has been fun, and i’ll try to keep in touch — but if you have any stray
marijnflorence.neocities.orglinks laying around, now’s the time to change them over to
- The heraldry page now has a fancied-up list of fellow internet armigers, alongside some coats of arms i designed for online communities i take part in.
- Two new records have been acquired for my vinyl collection.
- Work is going well on porting The Garden over to WordPress:
- I’m trying a new thing: The NEOcharts, a fortnightly(ish) music chart based on your Last.fm streams. Want to learn more? Click the link!
- New page! My vinyl record collection (Mijn lp-verzameling).
- Four new posts on The Garden:
- The Author Themself: Added some fun anagrams of my name. Quoth the page:
An anagram: “Forlorn raven can’t rejoin her mob.”
Or, if you prefer to think of the IJ in Marijn as a Y: “My lover, confronter; barren — an ‘oh’!”
- Mx. van Hoorn’s compendium of good words: If you print the page out on paper, it should now print the URLs of links as footnotes.
- One loan word per language: Added seven new languages: Akkadian, Albanian, Amharic, Arabana, Xhosa, Yagara, and Yoruba.
- The 404 page will now automatically try to redirect you to the right place.
- Deprecated the Holocene calendar (the thing where i would write 12021 instead of 2021). We’re free!
- Added the following new pages to the list of interesting Wikipedia articles: Ball lightning, Burnt house horizon, Cagot, Chabad messianism, Rodney Marks
- Two new posts on The Garden:
- A commemorative banner has been temporarily added to the front of the index page to commemorate my late grandfather. May he rest in peace.
- The index page has been done up a bit: it’s now fully bilingual, and the colophon is no longer a boring wall of text.
- Two new posts on The Garden:
- The linkroll has had some improvements made for those of you on mobile: sites which don’t play nice with mobile phones are now clearly marked, and phone users will now see screenshots made on a phone instead of on a desktop computer.
- The words iktsuarpok and galeänthropy have been removed from the Compendium of Good Words, as i suspect they’re the sort of word that are used more often in compilations of Top 10 Shocking And Rare Words That Will Amaze Your Balls Off!!! than in actual use as words
- New page! Things to do before i die (and its Dutch translation).
- The style guide has been updated with a new section about the proper usage of apostrophes, ʻokinas, quote marks, &c.
- Turns out my domain name providers (💜 Gandi) have a free 10-day trial of their web hosting services, including WordPress — i think i’m going to muck about with that to see if i can get a theme in order that looks somewhat like The Garden, in case i ever move to a “real” hosting provider.
- New post on The Garden: Vaccinated. (Dutch version)
- Added eight new words to the Compendium: cephalophore, endling, graupel, kalends, malefit, skolion, sfumato, and thing. All of these were taken from a .txt-file list compiled by one Kartik Chandra at Stanford University, so credit where credit’s due to him!
- New post on The Garden: Links for the 24th of March
- Added the following item to my list of wants:
Move to a “real” host. I love Neocities with all my heart and know that if i moved away it’d probably decimate (in the Roman sense) the number of people who come to visit this site, but it is slowly killing me that The Garden is such a faff to update and can’t support comments in any easy-to-use way without being dependent on some skeevy outside service or forcing everyone to email them in like it’s 1995.
- Inspiration sources for specific pages were added to the Dutch version of the about page.
- A new post yelled into the void:
oh my god
- New page! Quotes and other assorted aphorisms.
- I’m experimenting with showing Dutch-language content on The Garden (or should that be De Tuin), in my ongoing effort to make this site completely bilingual. On that note, there are a number of new entries over there:
- Added some more events to Holocene History, but i can’t help but feel woefully unequipped to maintain a single page detailing all of human history — me thinks it’s about time to lay it to rest at some point…
- The style guide has been updated to specify the distinction between Phoenix, the city, and phœnix, the bird.
- One new post on The Garden: A jaunt around Holywell Dene.
- Revamped the conlangs page to just be a bare-bones portal of links to individual pages for each of my conlangs. Worry not, the old page is still accessible at
- On that note, some more details have been added to the documentation on Basa de Dunya, especially its orthography.
- Added ‘koala’, from Dharug gula, to ‘One Loanword per Language’.
- Added a new Discord funny moment, but also removed a bunch that were too long and rambly or which otherwise no longer amused me, necessitating an almost complete reshuffling of pseudonyms. Got to keep that alphabetical order!
- Fixed an embarrassing mistake on the calendrical correspondences: it’s Elaphebolion, not Elaphabelion.
- New page, in response to a reader request: s → ſ, a widget to convert from short to long S-es.
- The heraldry page has now been translated into Dutch! Researching this was a royal pain in the bum because, as you can imagine, there are no easily-accessible English→Dutch dictionaries pertaining to heraldic jargon.
- New post on The Garden: February 12021 in the rear view mirror.
- Updated the about page with a paragraph or so on honorifics and capitalisation of my surname:
With regards to how to refer to me, “Marijn” is, of course, always fine in casual conversation and anywhere else you’d normally use someone’s given name; if you want to refer to me by surname only, please either call me “Mx. van Hoorn” — note the gender-neutral honorific — or, if your publication insists on not using a courtesy title, “Van Hoorn”, with a capital V in the Van.
- Added labels for mobile compatibility to the Nicæa directory.
- Well chuffed with this — the page on heximal counting now has a little widget at the bottom that you can use to convert between hexadecimal/decimal numbers and heximal words!
- The Gender Tetrahedron has been updated with new info and now also has a Dutch translation.
- New post on The Garden: A disorganised mess.
- You’ll have to forgive me if this is more disorganised than usual, because i blew the old index page to kingdom come in a command-line accident the other day. It’s been reorganised now; out with the neon purples, in with the green-and-pleasants! The old version was getting bloated anyway.
- New page: There are two continents. Also available in Dutch and Esperanto.
- There was a new links post on The Garden.
- And a new post yelled into the void:
imagine if we finally decipher linear a and then all the inscriptions turn out to be really pedestrian. like. linguists spend centuries figuring it out and it's all just “buy more goat’s milk” and “becky you unchivalrous harlot give me back the kids”
- Two new posts have been yelled into the void.
- I’ve written five new posts on The Garden:
- I finally went and touched up some pages that hadn’t been touched in forever. Most every page should now have the correct favicon — except the ſhrine pages; i’m planning on making cuſtom favicons for thoſe — and analytics. (Oh, and links back to the home pages should now be going to an unadorned link without any sort of
- Added a list of armigerous fellow netizens to the heraldry page
- Added bescumber, crepuscular, and elf-locks to the compendium of good words
- Added Cossack (from Ukrainian), boondocks (from Tagalog), and tattoo (from Samoan) to “One loan word per language”
- Five new posts on The Garden:
- I’m working on moving the documentation on Basa de Dunya — the current iteration of Yedena, from my conlang page — to my website from its current state as a loosely-organised Notepad file.
- Also, i fixed a slip-up i made with the Attic dates on this changelog. Everything was one day ahead of where it should have been by accident — whoops!
- New page: Songs i have cried my silly little heart out to
- Five new pages added to the linkroll:
- superpixelquest.com, and
- Three new albums added to Music i like:
- Taylor Swift’s Folklore,
- Thom Yorke’s Anima, and
- Rina Sawayama’s Sawayama.
- Bastille’s Doom Days was removed to make way.
- Four new posts on The Garden:
- Is every national leader in the Americas a Catholic? (No.)
- Testing out analytics with GoatCounter
- An incalculable loss (this one gets a little ranty and political, sorry)
- Seven links plus two
- Basic analytics are now being collected on certain pages via GoatCounter, a (reasonably) privacy-respecting, open-source analytics service that doesn’t use your data for advertising. The only things i’m tracking are which site referred people here (so i know where those traffic spikes i get are from) and which country it was accessed from (because i’m just curious).
pisswitch.js, the script i use to swap out pronouns on pages, is now
pwitch.js. The name was always kind of awkward.
- New page: A calendrical table
- RSS has landed! Follow changes to the website with this Atom feed.
- Three new posts on The Garden:
- Added Things Magazine and Interconnected to The Garden’s blogroll.
- One new post added to Discord funny moments
- Updated the style guide to specify CE and BCE over AD and BC
- Finally made the coat of arms, heximal, and Toast3r pages mobile-compatible — that should be everything!
- Redid the index page’s pride buttons
- „Wat geloof ik?” now uses the long S— i suspect my paranoia that using it in Dutch would make me look like a Nazi was overblown.
- Right, hello! After months of the only information of what’s changed being non-specific date numbers on the front page, i’ve finally set up a proper changelog; i’ll try to keep this irregularly updated with recent changes to the site. Might even add RSS at some point, if i can be bothered to figure it out. Anyway, in recent news…
- One new important video has been added to “this’ll be on my videotape”:
- Two new posts have been written on The Garden:
- This website now has a functioning favicon. I’ll be rolling it out to pages as i edit them — there’s a lot of pages to edit, you can’t rush this sort of thing!
- I’m testing out designs for comments on The Garden on a sandbox page. Comments will just work via you emailling them and me manually adding them; it’s the easiest way to get around Neocities’ limitations as a static site host.