Ah, the Space Force™, that organisation with the most noble goal of exporting the United States’ military–industrial complex to the only place it hasn’t yet invaded for oil.α Maybe it’s a bit mean of me to laugh at the US from my comfy chair in Europe, but good lord, they’re literally calling themselves guardians
of the galaxyβ — you can’t make this sort of thing up.
I suppose either astronaut would have been inaccurate — the space force’s actual responsibilities are mostly to do with overseeing communications satellites and such (what’s the space version of “chair force”?) — or they wanted to reserve the term for civilians, which would be fair enough. (“Guardians” is still silly, though.)
And we mustn’t forget their very Star Trekian seal:γ
Last but not least, an unnamed senior airman in the Space Force was recently demoted for skipping fitness training to buy a PS5 instead. Quoth our noble space cadet:
Yolo, PS5 > letters of discipline
Also in space, cyber- and outer…
- Iō Saturnalia! I thought about, in the tradition of turning norms of their heads, asking some of you people to write the blog for a day, but that seemed like it would have been more work than fun for them. Maybe next year.
- Jupiter and Saturn are in conjunction. I missed the window tonight, but i’ll have to take a peek with my telescope tomorrow…δ
- One loan word per language: I spent four days on this and will gladly self-promote it
- Blob Opera: Good fun; go have a play around with it.
- If you’re in desperate need of a laugh, go look at the Google Image search results for “minimalist nativity scene”